Local Google Map listings are essential for your web site’s local and overall visibility; make sure that your information is accurate and in accordance with the guidelines.
Here is an overview of the new guidelines:
- The business name must be the full legal business name.
- No stuffing of keywords into the business name, Google recognizes that you are trying to manipulate the search results. “Key West Vacations by Antlers Realty” is a no-no.
- No stuffing of URLs or phone numbers into the business name.
- A property for rent isn’t considered a business; use the main office for the address. This is a big one for vacation rental companies and real estate agents who have tried to list every property in their inventory separately in the past.
- If your business operates in several cities, don’t create a listing for each city, use the main office location.
- Physical business locations only, PO Boxes don’t count.
- Best practices have always been to use an email address that
matches your business’s URL, so for www.AwesomeRentals.com use Info@AwesomeRentals.com.
- It’s also best to use an email address that is shared by people in the company. For example Info@BlizzardInternet.com is shared between the business development and marketing team.
- When choosing categories only choose those that apply to your business, and not related categories
- Use the description and custom attribute fields for additional information about your listing; don’t stuff it into other fields.