A content management system is used to organize and facilitate digital content. Originally as simple as a rolodex or encyclopedia, today’s content management systems are elaborate software/database applications designed to store and process large amounts of complex information.
Web content management systems allow for easy separation of the visual presentation from the actual content. This content could be photos, product catalogs or text. This separation allows one to accomplish the following:
- Automated Templating – Easy to use visual templates that are automatically used to create new content
- Content is Easy to Edit – Once your content is separate from the visual presentation of your site, it usually becomes much easier and quicker to edit and manipulate. The editing software is typically very straight-forward making it easy for anyone to publish.
- Scalable Feature Sets – If you were looking to add a product catalog or chat functionality to a website, most CMS systems have the functionality to install a module/plug-in to add features rather than having to create that feature from scratch.
- Web Standards Upgrades – Most CMS programs receive regular updates that keep them up to date. These updates make can include new feature sets and keep the system up to the current web standards and are easily installed.
- Community Support – This makes it easier for developers/users to solve the challenges of the system. A support forum is more than likely available for the software you use which is a great way for developers to share their issues/solutions.
- Lower Cost Maintenance – CMS hosted sites are often easier and cheaper to maintain.
- Workflow management – A user can post a story but it’s not published on the website until the editor approves it. There is a system of checks and balances worked in to the system.
Content Management Systems are a great way to add new content to your website that you have complete control over. Learn more about making CMS work for you at our website.
Blizzard Associate – Blizzard Internet Marketing, Inc.