Nearly every lodging property, from a small bed and breakfast to a large hotel has a full-time and fast Internet connection. The bandwidth is typically delivered by DSL, Cable or T1. This fast Internet connection is the online lifeblood for your guest’s computers, back-office administrative computers, and even the Property Management Software (PMS) Server running on-site. All of this connectivity creates a natural security concern for all innkeepers or hoteliers: Hackers.
We recommend you try the free Shields UP! security scan on a few of the computers at your inn or hotel. Shields UP! It will challenge your firewall and your own computer’s security settings. It then creates a report showing important information about Internet vulnerabilities, precautions and solutions. When your run the test, remember to check each of your key systems:
- Servers running Customer Relationship Management, Email, Reservation Systems or Property Management Software
- Computers used by Reservationists and Back-office administrative staff
- Computers made available to your hotel’s guests
Shields UP! tests your computers for known vulnerabilities that hackers can and will attack. A few minutes testing for vulnerabilities may save hours of headaches later on.
While you are at it, make sure your other obvious vulnerabilites are being addressed:
- Your data is backed up regularly
- You run anti-virus and anti-spyware software
- You create robust passwords.
Trent Blizzard – Blizzard Internet Marketing, Inc.